Chili, NY - An electrical problem may have caused a massive early morning house fire in Chili.
Fire investigators say it started just after midnight Sunday at a three family home on Chili Avenue.
All eight people who lived inside made it out safely.
"The top floor is all gone. That's where I used to live," explained Jim. Jim, who didn't want us to use his last name, first noticed smoke in his apartment just after midnight, Sunday. "I ran out as quickly as I could to get my neighbors out because the smoke was coming really fast and like it was coming from inside the walls somewhere." Jim's apartment is one of three in the house. He's lived there for more than 20 years. "One thing that hurts is that I was an artist and a lot of my artwork was destroyed. As long as your healthy I guess. But, the material loss is going to be a little hard for me." Jim was able to find a few pictures and other belongings worth saving.
Everything he owns has been reduced to the trunk of his car. Vicki Sperry and her son lived next door. They also lost everything.She's hoping to find her cat, Flurry and a few keepsakes.
"I'd like to find pictures of my dad who passed away. You know, stuff you can't replace, that's what kills ya."Vicki hasn't been to bed yet and the severity of the fire is beginning to sink in. "I've got a really big nervous breakdown coming soon. I've had two little ones already. But, I've got a big one coming soon." Vicki and her son will live with family for now. Jim is going to stay with a friend.
Both are just thankful to be alive.
"Everybody got out safely and that's the main thing," said Jim. "Nobody got hurt."
The Red Cross is assisting all three families.