Crews were working on the roof of the elementary school in Livonia when a generator exploded setting supplies on fire and spreading across the 4th and 5th grade wing. "It's terrible," said Dawn McIntyre. She was one of many people who rushed to the school after hearing about the fire. "I remember when my daughter started here, marching in her princess costume for Halloween. I have costumes that I made for the school and it's heartbreaking," said McIntyre. Neighbors say they heard explosions. The smoke could be seen from miles away. "The first reaction is knowing everybody is safe," said Scott Bishoping, Superintendent. "That's the main thing. Everybody got out of the building. The fire alarms worked the way they were supposed to." School is not in session. An hour earlier, kids in a summer recreation program were in the building. They left for a scheduled field trip. Most of the damage is contained to the roof. However, there is some smoke and water damage to the classrooms. The roofing company, Leo J. Roth Corporation, declined to comment.