The decision on whether to build Renaissance Square is on hold until Spring 2009. Project partners set a new timeline Friday morning in hopes of moving forward the right way. "I don't think we're going backwards at all. Today was a definite leap forward in the direction we need to make this project a reality," said Maggie Brooks, Monroe County Executive.
A big reason the project decision was pushed back is to get a detailed construction cost estimate. The county has budgeted 230 million dollars for the project. They have 175 million on their hands now. But, last week State Assemblyman Joe Morelle says he doesn't want the state to fork out any future funding to the project.” We’re really going to respond to the community concern about spending taxpayer money on a joint development project. I think that's as important as putting a shovel in the ground," said Brooks.
Rochester Mayor Bob Duffy says he still has a million questions about the proposed project. He says his number one priority is getting buses off Main Street. "We want Main Street to be much more pedestrian friendly. I want MCC students downtown that's incredibly important for downtown vitality," said Duffy.
Mayor Duffy says he needs a lot more questions answered before he fully supports the project. "I think we've all seen public projects with the best of intentions the costs go up exuberantly and there is a lack of public confidence in those projects now," said Duffy.
Also announced, 15 million dollars has already been spent on project design and environmental reviews. I'm told the money was spent over a ten year period. It dates back to when the Rochester Central Station Project was proposed.