Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) observed in April, is the month dedicated to making a concerted effort to raise awareness of sexual violence and promote its prevention through special events, although such activities ideally will occur throughout the year.
The national SAAM initiative is based on several underlying
- Promotion of national unity in voice and action regarding SAAM activities;
- Support for local flexibility and creativity;
- Engaging a variety of communities across the nation;
- Increasing the number and variety of tools available to the field;
- Building community commitment and national momentum to end sexual violence.
Slogan and Color
The 2007 SAAM campaign national slogan is: Prevent Sexual Violence…in our communities. This focus helps communities recognize that everyone is responsible for preventing sexual violence and that it requires all of us working together in creative ways. This theme is also broad enough to allow individual states and territories to focus on particular areas of interest if they wish. Teal is the official color representing sexual violence awareness recognized month.