Police say they entered an abandoned building on Main Street in the village of Herkimer sheltering 64-year-old Kurt Myers around 8 a.m. on Thursday.
They say Myers shot a police dog and officers returned fire, killing him.
On Wednesday shortly before 9:30 a.m., police believe Myers set a building on fire at 32 South Washington Street in the village of Mohawk.
Police say he then went to John's Barber Shop at 17 Main Street, where he shot and killed two people and injured two others. They believe he used a shotgun.
About five minutes later, police say he shot and killed two people at Gaffey's Jiffy Lube at 320 Mohawk Street in the village of Herkimer.
State Police identified the following victims from the shooting at John's Barber Shop:
- Harry M. Montgomery, 68, of Mohawk was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Michael G. Rancear, 57, of Herkimer was pronounced dead at the scene.
- John Seymour, owner of the barber shop is listed in critical condition at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Utica.
- Dan Haslauer, a customer, is listed in critical condition at St. Elizabeth's Hospital.
- Thomas Stefka, an employee, was killed.
- Michael L. Renshaw, a NYS Corrections employee, was also killed.