Police say the 12-year-old accidentally fired the gun that had four live runs in it. The younger boy was shot in the neck, and the bullet exited his body through his lower back. He was transported to United Memorial Medical Center in Batavia then transported to Strong Memorial Hospital by Mercy Flight.
Police say scary incidents like this are avoidable.
"If you do have a gun in the house, it should be stored in an unloaded condition," said Sgt. Gregory Walker, "and it should not be in the sight of children or in reach of children. The best thing is to have it in a locked cabinet with a safety."
"If a young person does see a gun, my advice would be don't touch it," said John Dehm, a juvenile officer, "and tell and adult. So often mistakes end in tragedy and fortunately this boy's going to live through this one."
The boy was listed in stable condition Friday night. Police say his older brother may have to face a judge in family court. At this point, the grandparents are not being held accountable. The gun did have a safety on it, but it's not clear if it was on at the time.